previous study - legomaestro.deviantart.com/art…
Man, I remember starting this and having such excitement and fun, but there was always such a large negative feedback about such studies that I quit. Never again I say. I understand that this doesn't beat learning proper fundamentals and anatomy, but I love manga and anime, and these studies are so easy and fun to do and so informative that I find it worth it
I hope that they can help in any way. Whether you symphasize or not I hope they can be of some interest to you. I am also open to any ideas and tips, so please do share.
Kubo Symbol Studies
- Eyes just refuse to be simplified other than the fact that they stay in line. (I mean that I can't summarize them by using a square or circle. They have special curves and shapes I cannot simplify that easily. True for everything really, but still interesting to note)
- Perhaps they are separate lines that come together to make a whole - A TOP LINe and a BOTTOM LINE
- But that's not ALL - There's eyelids too
- Have no idea how long and far lids go. Must make more studies.
- Top eye line (1) is thick and bottom (2) is thin
- Do eyebroews change? (When different expressions are made?)
- In fact - WHAT causes different emotions in eyes?
- I was deliberately careless and can say they still look like they belong to the same character. How about if I draw with my left hand?
- Ok that was horrible
- Yiiikes. That's another story. I can tell what I wanted to draw, but in the end accuracy is needed. Or rather SMOOTHNESS is highly valuable. I'll try again lter.
I can't stress the importance of miniature forms. When people talk drawing anime and manga a lot of that is done with only ideas of awesome looking front-facing characters with great outfits. That's more Illustration than telling the story through characteriation and dialogue.
Shinji's limbs have been made stick-like - seriously how much knowledge of musculature and bones survive such changing of the figure?
3 - Eyelids can have different looks too!
4 - Eyebrows can also be compound to have more features. HOWEVER they connect to the eyebrows in the end